Thursday, December 16, 2010

Am I Woman, Erica.



Am I Woman.
Erica.
Pencil.

:::

about this piece.
This picture started out as a sketch for an idea of a pottery piece I was going to build but turned into an expression of how I felt after losing Isla McKenzie on 9th September 2010. She was my 6th pregnancy and we have one living daughter who is 11 years old. We also lost Catharine Ellen in pregnancy 11th June 2005. Knowing your a woman means different things to different people but to me having lost my daughters has taken away what should be the natural thing for a woman to do. There's a sense of loss of identity. My living daughter and I find comfort in drawing, pottery and photography to help with our loss of daughter's and sisters. -Erica.

7 comments:

  1. The detail in this is incredible.
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow ... what a very powerful piece. The loss of a baby truly does make you question your worthiness as a woman. I certainly did. xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very powerful and expressive. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, amazing. A picture really does say a thousand words.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for sharing this with us, Erica. I can imagine pottery and that jagged raw line separating the two sides. I like that your one living Daughter can express her grief through art too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree, it's an amazing piece of work. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

What do you think?