Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Travel Journal, Kara L.C. Jones






















Travel Journal.
Kara LC Jones aka Mother Henna 
8"x 8"

:::

about this piece.
This piece was created for the still life 365 travel journal project. Kara explains, "Right after our son Mizuko died a couple weeks ago, the still life 365 travel journal arrived at my door!  Talk about right timing.  It was my turn to make an 8"x 8" art journal page to add to the book.  This travel journal has been in the hands of bereaved parents in Germany, Ireland, England, Canada, and the US.  It is amazing to see everyone's contributions.  And it was transforming to create my own page just now.  My first piece of art really exploring the fact that I am living the life of a bereaved mother of TWO dead sons now.  Was humbling, and moving."

about the artist.
Kara is the Radical Creative behind all things MotherHenna.com. In 1999, after the death of their son Dakota, Kara and her partner Hawk co-founded Kota Press (KOTA: Knowing Ourselves Thru Art), an expressive arts outreach. Through their KOTA work and in partnership with the MISS Foundation, they have been mentoring other bereaved parents and caregivers around the world, offering creative perspectives on learning to life again after loss. As a coach to private clients, Kara facilitates the exploration of grief and creativity using many tools for alternative mind, body, spiritual health. Some of her specialties include henna art, heART-making, co-active coaching, Reiki, Tapping, asking the answerable questions and more. Kara keeps a radical creativity blog at Mother HennaKota Loss & Compassion Blog. Kara has been featured on still life 365 with her scrapbook page for her son Dakota, her poem Take-out Order, and her poem the After Life. The still life 365 community is mourning with Kara and her husband for the recent loss of her second son, Mizuko Star. 

7 comments:

  1. What a moving piece.. I'm so sorry you had to go through this horrible process again. Sending lots of hugs and warmth your way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this piece. The colors and texture... all of it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can relate to every single thing in the posture of that figure. Just everything. SO expressive.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful, love how it all works together.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks so much, Shannon, Amy, Merry, and Another Dreamer... It was kind of a big deal to do this one -- like I said in post, really, this was the first piece I did after Mizuko's death, you know, really exploring being a bereaved mum again. Such odd transitions and heart-breaking-open moments happening here. Trying to just ride it out and see what comes. Soooooo appreciate all your good vibes in support! xo k-

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kara, I didn't know that you lost your son, Mizuko. I am so sorry. I love this piece, but I am so heart-broken for you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I currently have the journal and this piece is so beautiful! I don't want to send the journal to its next home because I love looking at this (and all the other beautiful pieces of art too) amazing artwork!

    ReplyDelete

What do you think?