Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Disconnected, Rachel

















Disconnected.
Rachel.
Watercolor.


:::

about the piece.
Rachel describes her piece, "To be completely honest about the piece: I think it's awful how isolated you can feel in your grief. Even in regards to your closest friend, or family, or for me - my husband. We both experienced the same thing. Yet we're not anywhere close to being on the same page with one another. It's not an image of the fear of our marriage falling apart; rather it's an image of how grief is something bigger than you expect. I have faith that we'll have bridges across it someday."

about the artist.
Rachel lives in Kansas with her husband of four years and a gray cat. They lost their first child, Lyra, at 30 weeks due to placental abruption on December 18, 2009. Rachel maintains a blog called Curls O Fred.

5 comments:

  1. Rachel, your work never fails to touch me. Thank you for sharing this piece. Sometimes I'm shocked at how differently my husband and I are grieving.x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rachel you just nail it every time. Your simple use of colours and shapes never cease to amaze me. Who needs words when your art captures this shitty experience so perfectly.
    Sally
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rachel, you have so beautifully illustrated just one of the many losses that babyloss begets. Fortunately, as you point out, this one is often temporary. Love and patience and space for you both as you build those bridges.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is so powerful. Thank you for sharing your deep, beautiful works with us.

    ReplyDelete

What do you think?