Monday, June 14, 2010

Creative Prompt, Live Chats and Submission Request

I hope everyone enjoyed the mid-month challenge this month. I thought it was both a powerful poem and mid-month collection. Thanks to everyone who submitted.

On June 6th, we had an amazing conversation here at still life 365. You can read the transcript here. I was honored to have four guests to discuss the very broad topic of Grief and Creativity. Many thanks to Kara, aka, Mother Henna and Carly from Love Reign Over Me, To Write Their Names in the Sand, and the founder of International Babylost Mother's Day (and Father's day, coming in September), Rachel of Curls o Fred and Jenni of Demeter's Feet. It was a great first chat. I was still getting my feet wet with the format, so we kept the topic broad. I would like to host our next live chat on Sunday, June 27th at 10 am EST. The next topic for the live chat will be Finding Inspiration: How Grieving Artists Manage to Stay Creative. If you have a topic you'd like to discuss or see discussed, or a person you would like to see interviewed on still life 365, please contact me at stilllife365days(at)gmail(dot)com.

Creative prompts, community poems and mid month challenges are my way to help others, who may not normally know where to start, explore their grief through art and poetry, because I have always found that the hardest part of doing art is figuring out what to paint/draw/write about. Creative prompts are a great way to make some art or poetry when you are feeling less than inspired. And just because the month is over, doesn't mean the community poem ideas and mid-month challenges need to be over either. You can always use them to explore deeper. They are also a great way to create something to submit to still life 365. I will be publishing creative prompts here and there when I am, ahem, inspired. And I will be publishing responses here and there when they trickle in. I wrote this creative prompt today. Hope it helps inspire you:

Grief is so self-absorbing. It is about me and my family about what we lost without our daughter here. Me. Me. Me. I sometimes get so sick of me, and so unable to see the rest of the world clearly. This creative prompt is to look in the mirror, proverbial or literal, and not use the pronoun "I" or "me". Describe, draw, search, or craft about the person you see reflected.
Also, as always, we are looking for submissions. Always. Please check out the submission guidelines.And send your work to stilllife365days(at)gmail(dot)com. Also, still life 365 is on Facebook. I often ask for ideas, bounce things off of the group, try to rally chat partners, and otherwise try to engage the community throughout the week. So, please "like" still life 365, because we like you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think?