Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Haiku for my babies, Elizabeth Davis

Haiku for my Babies
by Elizabeth Davis
Did I just see that?
Two shooting stars together?
My babies are safe.
:::
about the piece.
In Beth's words, "This is the first art piece I have done since my miscarriage, the death of my second child which occurred sometime between March 29 and April 6 at approximately 7 weeks into pregnancy.  I had the D&E procedure on April 14.  During the late hours of April 16, my husband and I went for a cool, breezy night's walk with the dogs, sat on a bench in the park, and looked at the stars.  I have rarely seen a shooting star, and as clear as it could possibly be, I saw two move across the sky together, brighter than any other star visible.  They were gone as fast as they appeared.  My husband didn't see them."
about the contributor.
By night, Elizabeth Davis is a pediatric registered nurse. By day, she is relearning how to breathe after the death of her daughter Kathlyn. Beth describes her writing and blog, "Safety is a big issue for me and often appears in my writing.  I have to be safe in my job in the care I provide as a nurse.  My husband is a police officer and I tell him to be safe every time he leaves or we say goodbye on the telephone.  My blog title reflects how important I view safety.  I'm always apologizing to my daughter and begging her for signs that she's safe wherever she is.  I would have kept her safe here too... I would have done my best, anyway, and I didn't mean to fail her the way I feel I did, so I'm constantly looking for signs that she's safe." Elizabeth maintains the blogs Safe in This House and Letters to my Daughter.

6 comments:

What do you think?