Friday, April 23, 2010

Beloved, Lynette O'Sullivan

Beloved
by Lynette O'Sullivan


You were nothing in this world;
a fading line of blue,
a lost echo of my heartbeat,
a too-still blur of light and shadow.

You were what was wrong with me;
something that was causing me pain.
something that had to be removed
like a thorn or a splinter.

No-one acknowledged you.
No-one called you by your name
or breathed the word 'baby'.
But you were mine.
You were beautiful.
You were beloved.

:::

about the piece.
Lynette describes her poem, "I wrote this following surgery after one of my miscarriages. I didn't know what an ERPC was until then and was horrified to hear those words used to describe the loss of my baby."

about the poet.
Lynette is a stay-at-home mum to three beautiful children. She describes her journey, "I lost my first baby at nine weeks gestation in 1998 - a twin to my eldest daughter. I was devastated and never imagined it could happen again. Sadly I went on to have four further miscarriages and fell out of step with time and place. I know now that there is no going back to the way things were, I am forever changed, and I'm beginning to find some good in the new. I keep a haphazard blog at Little Grains of Sand." 

2 comments:

What do you think?