Friday, November 4, 2011

Bear's Heart, Claire




This photo was taken the day after I returned home from the hospital after the loss of our second child this summer. I took a shower upon returning home, and the steam revealed the message I had written in soap from the last shower I had taken while still pregnant. I had written the would-be nickname of our son, and a single heart, which appeared on the glass shower wall. The image is now the background on my phone and is a daily reminder of my two lost loves. I've been working up the courage to submit it for months now.



about the artist:

I'm 29 years old, live in Northern Virginia and married my high school sweetheart. Our first son, Daniel, was stillborn after 32 weeks of pregnancy on September 10, 2010. The cause of his death is officially unknown, but is suspected to have been linked to preeclampsia. This summer we lost a second child, also a son, to a second trimester miscarriage after a "low-risk" procedure to rule out problems caused an infection. "A man often meets his destiny on the road he takes to avoid it." This entry has been a long time coming. I'm beginning the journey to find myself again. -Claire

11 comments:

  1. You photo and story touched me.
    I had early onset severe pre-eclampsia which killed my son. and had me in the hospital for 13 days.
    He was born at 29 w 4 d and lived for 3 days in the NICU.
    My heart goes out to you. I wish so much that you didn't have this pain to carry and that you had your babies in your arms.
    I can sense how strong you are from the way that you wrote this.
    Sending love to you Claire. xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. A beautiful, haunting image. I'm so glad you found the courage to submit it.

    I'm deeply sorry for the loss of your sons xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. So heartbreaking, but so beautiful. Hugs and prayers to you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! This is a framer and possibly the inspiration of future artwork! Thank you for sharing and I'm so sorry for both of your losses. HUGS!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this. My son Bear was stillborn at term on May 22, 2011 for unknown reasons. I like that this is hopeful and filled with so much love. It makes me smile. And these days, that is a blessing. Thank you to you and your Bear.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful, poignant photograph. I'm so sorry for your losses. x

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree, a beautiful haunting image. Thank you for sharing your photo and your story.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for the beautiful photo. How courageous that you had the strength to capture the image, and then also to share it.

    after my miscarriage it seemed like I might cry forever. the most comforting idea was that I'd given a spirit a chance to alight on the Earth before going to a better destination.

    Sending you love, peace and hope.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you, Claire. This is an incredibly moving and courageous entry. You are so strong.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Such a powerful image and story, I'm happy that you shared it. My heart hurts for you Claire. I lost my son on August 6 at 23 weeks and 2 days. He and I spent 27 days in the hospital together before an infection caused me to go into premature labour. Liam lived for an hour and a half and I'm trying to forgive my body/myself for not being able to hold onto him longer.
    I'm happy to hear that you are begining to find yourself again. Blessings to you and your family.
    Natasha

    ReplyDelete
  11. Claire, I cry for you, and for me, as we heal together. Your picture is beautiful..and moving, and I am truly speechless. I wish I could hug you right now. Although I have many blessings in my life, I too just lost a son, Landon. He was born at 20 weeks despite 2 surgeries, bedrest, and several weeks in the hospital desperately trying to stop my cervix from opening. His tiny heart stopped beating after only 52 minutes. No words can describe the feelings of loss and devastation we feel so I can relate to your grief, my friend. Thank you for sharing your story. <3

    ReplyDelete

What do you think?